How to use a Pendulum
Have you ever wanted to know the answer to a question and not known who could give you the answer? Has it ever occurred to you that you might know the answer but don’t know how to come up with it? A Pendulum might be the answer. Knowing how to use a Pendulum allows us to tune into our natural intuition or sixth sense. We can then find the answer to our questions and aid in our decision making.
What is a Pendulum?
A Pendulum is a non-magnetized weight, often a crystal that is rotationally balanced and often pointed at the bottom, but they can be personal objects like rings, keys etc. Pendulums are suspended from a cord, string or chain 18-25cm long. Pendulums are free to pivot in any direction swinging freely. They swing back and forth through the motions under the influence of gravity which brings the weight back to the bottom point.
Historical and Modern uses of Pendulums
Traditionally used to divine water, find gold and other minerals, they have been used in clocks as a timekeeper from the 1500s–1600s to current times. Clock pendulums have been largely replaced by batteries in modern times. You also see church officials swinging a pendulum filled with incense and smoking as they walk around official ceremonies during services. Today you will find spiritual people using pendulums or holistic healers who use them to find the answers to the questions for their clients. There are also practitioners proficient in measuring energy fields, or others using them in the divination of water.
How do I choose a pendulum that is just right for me?
Choosing your own pendulum is a very personal decision, the pendulum that catches your eye, the one that you are drawn to is the best pendulum for you. Trust your intuition, your inner knowledge, that you will pick the perfect pendulum for you, and you will! Many people choose a pendulum based on the association and attachment they have to a particular crystal. It can be the colour of the crystal or the meaning or emotional benefits of the crystal that can draw them to the stone. Whatever reason you have to be attracted to your pendulum, it will be the right reason for choosing it.
- Amethyst – a natural stress reliever it is calming and neutralises negative energy.
- Black Tourmaline – is a protective crystal that removes negative thoughts, doubt, anger etc,
- Clear Quartz – the most powerful for healing and amplifying energy
- Rose quartz – is a calming stone that is peaceful and draws love to you
How do I use my pendulum?
- It is important to take a deep cleansing breath, be calm, centred, clear your mind and be open to any outcome.
- Connect to your pendulum and allow it to give you the answer
- With your elbow on the table, for stability, hold the chain of your pendulum between the thumb and index finger with any excess chain being held in your hand.
- Relax, breathe and calm yourself down, allow the pendulum to come to rest
- Ask the pendulum to show you what “yes” looks like, take notice of how the pendulum swings, it may be back and forth, side to side, clockwise or anticlockwise
- Ask the pendulum what “no” looks like, this is often the opposite direction to yes, take note.
- If the pendulum swings differently then it may be showing you a neutral/maybe position
- Make sure the pendulum is totally still before you ask your next question
- Now it is time to start practising with your pendulum so you understand how it works for you. Stay calm, centred and without judgement so the answers will be free of your opinion, desires and bias.
What can I ask a pendulum?
You can ask your pendulum anything to get higher awareness, understanding and guidance from the universe. Questions can be about life, love, money, health, career and can be easy or more complex questions. If the question you want to be answered is complex make sure you ask several simplified questions first to narrow down and clarify the answers, be sure each question is specific and has a yes or no answer. The question needs to be very precise and not general so the answer is clear. It is good to narrow down lists to find the best answer, if the question is too general then the answer will be general.
How to cleanse your pendulum?
Pendulums need to be cleared of negative energy. They will absorb all the negative energy around them and need to be cleaned regularly. This can be done by using sage, placing them under a full moon, soaking them in sea salt (if this is appropriate) or running them under cold running water. Once you have cleansed your pendulum, you can charge it with your own intention forming a connection with it.
How often can I use my pendulum?
You can use your pendulum as often as you like, or only at times when you need the divine guidance, it gives you.
Pendulums are magic tools, they are energy conduits that are a fun and a simple way to finding answers to questions, sorting out your true feelings by connecting you to your own inner wisdom and intuition so you can move forward powerfully and with purpose.
Now I understand why sometimes I get answers that aren’t right, but I realize my questions weren’t clear in the first place. Now I get it, I have to think more clearly and ask better questions that can’t have multiple answers so I get the right answers for the questions I ask. Thank you.